Aug 11, 2009

Hornets at Frasers Pines Tree Hills Trail last Sat

My left foot swollen after been stung by a hornet after I went to help Joanne as her head was full of hornets.... she got 3 stung on her head 2 at her left ear and a few at her arms .

The place some of the group of hikers got stung was 600meteres from the the entrance.

At 10 am after the briefing on the trail to the hikers, we start to trek and as usual i was the seeepe. Since most of the group are beginners other than Chey, Agnes, and the GAP group (which have gone in earlier) I ask Agnes to lead the way.

About 20mins, I heard someone (lady voice) screaming, and i rush saw a few hornets was attacking her, manage to calm and as gave anti histamine in view of the hornets stung as it slow dowm the swelling and allegy so that will have time to sent her to the clinic.

After checking her, i told the climber that i have to take her to the clinic as the reaction will come in within an hour. Before that, I decided to check on the trail where the hornets were. As i trek down , up again , there seem none, so i ask the climber to go one at the time, Alex and family trek first were ok so doe Siew, Agnes, Catherine, Aik Poh and Lili...however Joanne didn't manage as she was screaming for help as i rush to her .. there were pool of hornets on her head , and i brush it off.. .by then she was crying in pain. Told Chey to give her the anti histamine fast.
Those behind me decided not to continue, as i told them I need to take these 2 ladies to the neraby clinic fast.

Rush them to the clinic and both of them were given the jab, but Joanne was still crying in view of the pain. We stay at the clinic abt 1hr 30mins to ensure that these 2 ladies show no sign of shock or difficulty in breathing.

later, Kelly called me and informed me abt the hornets as she was stung .. 1:45pm Agnes called that the group have reached the peak.

While Joanne was rested, Chey and myself decide to trek around Fraser hills other the Pine..as we proceed to the Bishop trail, i analyse and think why the hornets attack these 2 ladies..

Then i recall, both of them were wearing white and I was wearing white socks.

The ealier group that went after i check the trail were not wearing white, Joanne were attack as she covered her head with white towel, while another lady she was attack at her body as she was wore white T. I was wearing red T while helping Jo to get rid of the hornets at her head and none attack me but got stung at my left foot 'cos wearing white socks.. at that time i was wearing dark short.

So guys, i suggest no white color attire .. unable to comment Y the hornets were attacking those wearing white but need to check further.

The group led by Agnes came out at 5.22pm and Catherine/Siew got stung on the way back, took both of them to the clinic for the jab. Janet and her twins oso got a few ...

The doctor told me that last week a few of climbers got stung also... I have informed the police and there were some hikers were cautioned were warned when they trek after the incident.

Fortunate that all were ok.. so please have anti histamine to carry with you when go hiking.

My leg started to swell when i send Jo home, went to the clinic for a jab 'cos next day have to lead the Mulu/Pinnacles group.

It was hot/humid on sunday at Tabur but cooling at Fraser Hiils ..

As Pines is my favorite place to hike will take a break for a while before go there again.

TQ.

1 comment:

Aik Yong said...

Hi Tony, it's Aik Yong, not Aik Poh.

I was wearing white that day also but the hornets did not attack me.

Some of us speculate that the hornets will attack those that came behind the first few people that disturb the nest.