Jun 13, 2014

Letter to Sabah Park


Below is my complaint to Sabah Park on the 'undang undang' set by the guides / warden 



To the attention of Manager
Sabah Park / Sutera Sanctuary Lodges / Sabah State Tourism Board / Malaysia Tourism Board

Dear Sir / Madam

RE: Discontent, query and request for compensation

Kota Kinabalu is like second home to me. I have hiked up the awe-inspiring Mount Kinabalu more than 30 times – every one of them memorable and running smoothly. Relatives and Friends that have gone up and down the mountain with me, have had no issues – each leaving with fond memories and many returning again and again.

However, on my recent trip (May 30 – 31), 2014 with my friends, some of us were faced with a ‘stumbling block’, which came as a huge drawback that obstructed us from achieving our goal of reaching the peak of Mount Kinabalu. On May 31st 2014, some of my guides, my friends and relatives and I, were shocked when we arrived Sayat Sayat and were told that we had not made the ‘cut-off’ time which is 5am, therefore were prohibited to continue our hike beyond that point - the ‘unwritten rule’ set by the Park Warden on duty at Sayat Sayat. The guides whom I hired were shocked and unable to assist as we paid them and NOT the Park Warden. It was also disconcerting to be informed of this sudden new ‘ruling’ by the Park Warden on duty named Mark. According to Mark, this was an  unwritten ‘undang undang ‘ that all the hikers and guides should know that anyone arriving Sayat Sayat after 5am will not be permitted to continue their hike beyond that point.  He even commented if anyone was not happy with his decision, they could lodge a report with his manager.

Kindly see below the sequence of events that occurred on May 31st, 2014.

a)  On May 31st, 2014, 52 of us – 18 from Gunting Lagadan and 34 from Laban Rata, left for Low’s Peak at 2.20am and 2.45am respectively.
b)  At 3.15am, 3 of my friends arrived at Sayat Sayat and no warden was around. They called me and I told them to wait as the warden needed to  note down the registration numbers of those who passed the Sayat Sayat gate. While waiting for the missing warden, more hikers/visitors and guides arrived and waited for the warden before proceeding to the peak.
b) I reached Sayat Sayat at 5.02am and was informed that the gate was closed at 5.00am.
c) I asked the park warden on duty – Mark, on the 5.00am rule – his reply was that “this was not a rule but for the safety of the hikers”.
d)  He allowed me to proceed judging from the looks of my fitness level as I am a regular to Mount Kinabalu. (That was what he told me when I met him at 9am at Sayat Sayat). It was also then that he informed me that he was not happy that some friends who arrived the Sayat Sayat gate after 5am, shouted at him for not letting them through.
e) He explained on safety issues but I told him I have local paid guides to take care of the people in my group
f) The guides whom I hired that day also argued with him and nearly ended up in a scuffle as this was the first time they had been denied entry and had not heard of this ‘safety regulation’.
g)  Eight of my friends arrived Sayat Sayat after 5.00am were very disappointed. The blame was put on me for not informing them of the cut-off time at Laban Rata 
h)  I would have accepted the ‘safety regulation’ if it rained at 5.00am and the warden closed the gate, but that morning, the weather was clear as crystal
i) This is the 1st time I heard of the ‘cut – off’ time

Kindly see my queries below. Would appreciate a formal written explanation on the following issues:

a) Is there a cut-off time to reach Sayat Sayat? Is this a new ruling and if it is, when was it enforced? What is the new regulated and official cut-off time that one must reach Sayat Sayat?

b) Why were the hikers and guides NOT informed? Were there any notices or information on this new ruling announced/circulated or publicized? If there was, please advise when, where and how were they released/revealed/made public?

c) There was also no information indicating that Sayat Sayat gate would be closed at 5.00am when we signed the check list and indemnity form before the start of the hike. Briefing by the guides also did not include mention of this new ruling. Please explain why.

d) There was also no indication by Sutera Sanctuary Lodge (SSL – the company managing the accommodation) on the 5.00am cut-off time at Sayat Sayat when bookings were made. Wes SSL been informed of the unwritten ‘undang undang’   

d) In addition, can you please advise what are the requirements on the number of wardens to be stationed at Sayat Sayat to do the checking. Do these wardens have the right to deny entry to hikers who intend to climb, even those who have guides, when the weather is good. If the wardens do have the right to deny any climber through the Sayat Sayat gates, please advise on what terms and grounds are these denials based on.

f) Who is made to be responsible for the climbers/hikers – guides or wardens?

g) Much time and money were spent in training besides the funds used for flights, food and accommodation, plus fees and passes to climb Mount Kinabalu. As no prior information was given, I would like to propose that Sabah Park compensate those who were denied entry through Sayat Sayat by the warden?

With the above mention, I look forward to receiving your soonest and most favorable reply, Moreover, it wasn’t just those in my group that were denied entry past Sayat Sayat after 5.00am, there were others too including foreign tourists who were not happy. This will surely tarnish the image of the park and would also affect the government’s ‘Visit Malaysia 2014’ promotion.

Yours sincerely,

 Quay Peng Kim
HP: 016-274 2213

No comments: