Jun 13, 2014

Mt Kinabalu - letter to News Editor




My nephew Joseph was disappointed and want to write to the local dailies

Below is the letter to the News Editors

===================================================================================================================

To: The Editor
XXXXX (name of newspaper)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter due to the frustration because of the spoilt plan for my father’s birthday which I had been anxiously waiting to carry out.  What was supposed to be an eventful hiking adventure trip to Mount Kinabalu for my dad and I, to celebrate his 50th birthday, turned out to be disappointing - all because of the unwritten ‘undang- undang’ at Mount Kinabalu.

On May 31st, 2014, my father and I started our hike from Laban Rata to Low’s Peak (Mount Kinabalu peak) at 2:45am after breakfast. Upon reaching the Sayat-Sayat  checkpoint, the Park Warden stopped us, saying that we had not met the cut-off time to arrive Sayat-Sayat which was 5.00am – an  unwritten ‘undang- undang’ at Mt Kinabalu.

I was devastated when I heard that as I had planned a surprise for my Dad at Low’s peak, being his 50th birthday. Moreover, the time was only 5.05am when we arrived Sayat-Sayat. What I understood from the guide that we hired, was that there was no cut-off time but sometimes entry is denied if the weather is really bad eg. heavy rain with thunder and lightning. However, on that day it was crystal clear and here we were with a totally selfish and inconsiderate Park Warden who refused to let us both through.

The Park Warden was very rude. He not only raised his voice but argued with other hikers and visitors including foreign tourists who arrived at the Sayat-Sayat checkpoint after 5.00am. My dad and I didn’t want to argue further seeing that there was no point, so we turned back. What I would like to know is, is there such a regulation – a cut-off time to reach Sayat-Sayat before 5am? If there is, why were we not informed when we signed the log book on entering Kinabalu Park? Why were our local guides not informed of this ‘undang-undang’? If there is such a regulation, how has the park disseminated the information to visitors and hikers, as tourists come from far and many are caught unaware.

There I was, a 16-year old teenager who just wanted to celebrate with my dad at the peak. I had planned for this for so long. Thinking about what happened really makes me sad and a little angry, especially when the government is trying hard to promote VM 2014. I feel like I had wasted a lot of my time, planning for this surprise, including the training my dad and I had gone through so we could make it to the peak. My dad also spent a lot of money paying for our flight tickets, food and accommodation, along with the park fees etc.

I do hope the Sabah Park personnel can give me an explanation, whether there is such a rule established at the Kinabalu Park. If there is, this information should be made known extensively so that those going to hike Mount Kinabalu will be aware and not get caught by surprise with this unwritten rule.

I hope that the company managing the park can give me some sort of compensation for all my dad and I have spent. If the attitude of the Park Wardens or the unwritten ‘undang-undang’ still exists, this will be my last hike to Mount Kinabalu.


Joseph Edward

No comments: